binary data types and streaming

From: David Durham <ddurham(at)vailsys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: binary data types and streaming
Date: 2006-02-21 20:57:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi-

I'm looking for information about storing binary data in postgres. I've
set up a few tests where in I stored bytea data, but I have a few other
questions and I'm wondering if postgres will meet my needs. Just to
start off, here's a couple of questions:

What are the differences between using the bytea type and the BLOB
type?

Is there any type of streaming support built into postgres' binary
datatype handling? For instance, can I specify a beginning offset for
the binary data that I want>

I didn't see a whole lot of information about this topic in the postgres
8.1 manual. Can anyone point me to documentation on this subject or
refer me to a book? Thanks,

Dave