Re: Storing Digital Video

From: Nate Byrnes <nate(at)qabal(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Storing Digital Video
Date: 2006-02-09 13:45:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

I must claim some ignorance, I come from the application world... but,
from a data integrity perspective, it makes a whole lot of sense to
store video, images, documents, whatever in the database rather than on
the file system external to it. Personally, I would use LOB's, but I do
not know the internals well enough to say LOBs or large columns.
Regardless, there are a lot of compelling reasons ranging from software
maintenance, disk management, data access control, single security layer
implementation, and so on which justify storing data like this in the
DB. Am I too much of an Oracle guy? I think that Postgres is more than
capable enough for this type of implementation. Is this confidence
unfounded?

Aside from disk utilization, what are the performance issues with
LOB and / or large columns? Does the data on disk get too fragmented to
allow for efficient querying? Are the performance issues significant
enough to push parts of the data integrity responsibility to the
application layer?

Thanks,
Nate