pg_hba.conf alternative

From: Q Beukes <pgsql-dev(at)list(dot)za(dot)net>
To: Postgresql Dev <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_hba.conf alternative
Date: 2006-02-08 12:34:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

Is there not some other alternative to pg_hba.conf?

I have the problem where the system administrators at our company
obviously have access to the whole filesystem, and our database records
needs to be hidden even from them.

With pg_hba.conf that is not possible, as they just change all the conf
lines to "trust" auth and viola they have access to the database without
passwords.

Is there a more secure alternative to this? The perfect scenario being
to deny everyone include "root" access to a database without a password.

regards,
Quintin Beukes