Re: verifying database integrity - fsck for pg?

From: Rich Doughty <rich(at)opusvl(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: verifying database integrity - fsck for pg?
Date: 2006-01-31 15:00:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Rich Doughty <rich(at)opusvl(dot)com> writes:
>
>>We are currently migrating a cluster between hosts. I'd like to
>>verify that the new database has been transferred reliably and
>>that the datafiles are in tact.
>

> pg_dump both databases and diff the results, perhaps?

i had considered pg_dump. i was hoping there was a utility similar
to fsck that could check for corruption. i'd like to verify now that
the data is ok, rather than coming across errors in 6 months time.

i'm going to go a vacuum full, and a pg_dump. at least that should
mean all the data is accessible.

cheers

--

- Rich Doughty