Re: My very first PL/pgSQL procedure...

From: Philippe Ferreira <phil(dot)f(at)worldonline(dot)fr>
To: jim(at)contactbda(dot)com
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: My very first PL/pgSQL procedure...
Date: 2006-01-28 21:04:36
Lists: pgsql-general

>why not have server a start at 1 and server b start at max int8/2. that will give each server alot of orders before
>you have an issue. They will will not have to play games with the sequence value.
>
>Jim

Hi,

Your method is different from mine, but I think that both methods will
face the same constraints in case of failover...

Anyway, my setup is working fine, so I won't change anything !
The only point is that it could have been useful to be able to lock a
sequence...
It seems that it was possible with PostgreSQL 7.0, but was removed in 7.1 :
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2001-10/msg00928.php

Best regards,
Philippe Ferreira.