Re: Creation of tsearch2 index is very slow

From: Stephan Vollmer <svollmer(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creation of tsearch2 index is very slow
Date: 2006-01-21 18:37:06
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Tom Lane wrote:

> The problem seems to be mostly tsearch2's fault rather than the general
> GIST code. I've applied a partial fix to 8.1 and HEAD branches, which
> you can find here if you're in a hurry for it:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2006-01/msg00283.php
> (the gistidx.c change is all you need for tsearch2)

Thanks for all your time and work you and the other guys are
spending on this matter! I'll look into the new version, but a.p.o
seems to be unreachable at the moment.

> There is some followup discussion in the pgsql-performance list. It
> seems possible that we can get another factor of 10 or better with a
> smarter picksplit algorithm --- but that patch will probably be too
> large to be considered for back-patching into the stable branches.

I've already been following the discussion on pgsql-perform,
although I have to admit that don't understand every detail of the
tsearch2 implementation. :-) Thus, I'm sorry that I won't be able
to help directly on that problem. But it is interesting to read anyway.

Best regards,

- Stephan