Re: 7.4x vs 8.1x

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Donald Fraser <postgres(at)kiwi-fraser(dot)net>
Cc: "[JDBC]" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.4x vs 8.1x
Date: 2006-01-10 18:57:38
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Donald Fraser wrote:

> I note that there are a lot of 'format' related changes from pre 8.1 to 8.1.
> Could someone inform me whether a 7.4.x JDBC driver will operate at all with
> a 8.1.x database?

We do not test or support this. It may work, but you're on your own.
Basic query execution is probably OK, but things like database metadata
are likely to break.

> I also note that someone is attempting to implement notifications but it
> should be noted that the method they are attempting to use will fail!
> (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2005-04/msg00056.php) The reason
> it will fail is that the available() method of the input stream does not
> work on SSL sockets!

This is a known limitation of the code in the current driver. With a SSL
connection, the driver will not fail, it is just that applications will
still need to run queries before you see notifications arrive, i.e. the
old behaviour.

-O