Question about how an application should store "system"

From: John McCawley <nospam(at)hardgeus(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Question about how an application should store "system"
Date: 2006-01-04 19:36:45
Lists: pgsql-general

I have decided that I'm going to resume working on my pgDesigner project
( http://www.hardgeus.com/projects/pgdesigner/ ). I haven't really
maintained it for over a year, but I get about 200 visits a day to the
project homepage, and about two or three emails a week asking for help.
As the project currently stands, it stores datamodel information in a
text file separate from the database. What I would like to do is modify
the application such that it can operate in "live" mode. i.e. store all
visual datamodel information in the database itself in a series of
tables. My question for this list is the following: Is there a
standard way for storing quasi-system related information in Postgres.
i.e., this is essentially an admin tool, and I was wondering if there
are naming conventions etc. I should follow such as the table names etc.

John