Re: MDX support in postgresql

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Rikardo Tinauer <rikardo(dot)tinauer(at)eba(dot)si>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MDX support in postgresql
Date: 2006-01-01 00:26:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Rikardo Tinauer <rikardo(dot)tinauer(at)eba(dot)si> writes:
>
>>I am wondering if you are considenring supporting MDX syntax in PostgreSQL?
>
> Is there a standard for that, or is it just something
> Microsoft-proprietary? Stuff that is in the SQL2003
> standard is generally on our "wish list" at some level
> (no guarantees about how soon it might appear). Copying
> something that appears only in MSSQL sounds like a great
> way to get in legal hot water, however.

I haven't tried it myself, but see Mondrian for an open source
implementation of MDX:
http://mondrian.sourceforge.net/
It should work with Postgres (as well as other JDBC datasources).

Microsoft is purportedly pushing MDX as a standard. Here's a discussion
of the MDX language:
http://mondrian.sourceforge.net/mdx.html

HTH,

Joe