random delays

From: Baldur Norddahl <bbn-pgsql(dot)general(at)clansoft(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: random delays
Date: 2005-12-09 13:29:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I noticed that sometimes we seem to have a problem with simple queries
that take a long time to execute. For example "select * from config
where key='abc'" which normally only takes a few milliseconds, but in
some rare cases suddenly takes 10-30 seconds.

It is a production system, so there are always other queries going on.
But the server is not neccessarly loaded when this happens. I can't
think of any reasons that there should be a lock on the tables in question.

Is there a way to find out what the query is waiting for?

We are using postgresql 8.0.3.

Thanks,

Baldur