Re: Foreign key trigger timing bug?

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Foreign key trigger timing bug?
Date: 2005-12-08 16:49:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/7/2005 4:50 PM, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> I had an open 8.1 item that was:
>>
>> o fix foreign trigger timing issue
>>
>> Would someone supply text for a TODO entry on this, as I don't think we
>> fixed it in 8.1.
>
> I'd split this into two separate items now.
>
> Fix before delete triggers on cascaded deletes to run after the cascaded
> delete is done. This is odd, but seems to be what the spec requires.

Ugh, that sounds ugly. One problem I see is, what do we do if the BEFORE
trigger then returns NULL (to skip the delete). The cascaded operations
are already done. Do we have to execute the cascaded deletes in a
subtransaction or do we disallow the skip in this case?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #