ECPG doesn't return the correct length for an empty

From: "Hebert, Caroline" <caroline(dot)hebert(at)eds(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ECPG doesn't return the correct length for an empty
Date: 2004-06-24 13:56:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I understand very well your answer, however, I would like to introduce
briefly our needs and why we decided to use the "-r no_indicator" with ECPG.

We are porting a Pro*C/Oracle 7.3.4 based application (about 4000 SQL
requests) to ECPG/PostGreSQL 7.4.2.
This application mostly uses VARCHAR variables, considering (with Oracle)
any
uninitialised varchar (NULL value) as an empty string.
If we don't use the "-r no_indicator" option with ECPG, requests containing
at least one NULL value return an "ECPG_MISSING_INDICATOR" error code.
This is normal as they don't contain "null indicator" variables in their
Oracle version.

The "-r no_indicator" option, which considers NULL VARCHARs as empty
VARCHARs, seems to corresponds to the application needs.
However, if this mechanism doesn't guarantee the length field to be coherent

with the returned strings, we'll have to test the string length with :
strlen(myVarchar.arr)
instead of simply reading
myVarchar.len

Is there another way to get "real" empty varchars (with a correct length
associated !) instead of NULL VARCHAR values ?

However, having a positive length associated with an empty VARCHAR still
seems incoherent to me...

Thanks a lot

Regards

Caroline Hebert