Re: SERIAL type feature request

From: Zoltan Boszormenyi <zboszor(at)dunaweb(dot)hu>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SERIAL type feature request
Date: 2005-12-05 19:59:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck írta:

> On 12/5/2005 1:03 PM, Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
>
>> Jan Wieck írta:

>>> I think nobody would object to implementing support for the SQL2003
>>> syntax. Most of that would be providing all the values that will get
>>> forwarded into the internal sequence generation during CREATE TABLE.
>>>
>>> The other thing needed is an extension to the default value
>>> mechanism that overrides any given value to implement GENERATE
>>> ALLWAYS. Not too hard either.
>>

>> Where can I find this syntax? (PDF file name, page#) Thanks.
>> I think I modify my feature request for the standard behaviour.
>

> It's all in the Foundation paper inside this zip:
>
> http://www.wiscorp.com/sql/sql_2003_standard.zip

Thanks, I found it. It's "GENERATED { ALWAYS | BY DEFAULT } AS
IDENTITY, isn't it?
If I interpret it correctly, "GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY" means that
no matter
what I give in "INSERT INTO MYTABLE (serial_id, ...) VALUES (N, ...)",
the sequence
next value will be inserted into the database. I am all for it, it's
much stronger than just watching
for the 0 value and would fit my needs.

The other behaviour is "GENERATED BY DEFAULT AS IDENTITY",
which is what PostgreSQL currently provides.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi