Re: Selecting Large Object and TOAST

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: vishal saberwal <vishalsaberwal(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Selecting Large Object and TOAST
Date: 2005-12-05 05:51:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/4/2005 11:45 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Well as I said it depends on the size of the data. Are we talking 100
> meg vector images? Then large objects. Are we talking thumbnails that
> are 32k then bytea.

I'd say that anything up to a megabyte or so can easily live in bytea.
Beyond that it depends on the access pattern.

That said, for certain situations I think some sql-callable functions
would be very handy:

lo_get(oid) returns bytea
lo_set(oid, bytea) returns void
lo_ins(bytea) returns oid
lo_del(oid) returns void

Those (and maybe some more) would allow access of traditional large
objects through client interfaces that don't support the regular large
object calls.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #