Re: Thoughts on MySQL and InnoDB

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on MySQL and InnoDB
Date: 2005-12-02 09:38:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 12/1/2005 12:13 PM, Andreas Pflug wrote:
>> Jan Wieck wrote:
>>>
>>> So I am not shocked about that any more, but more shocked that MySQL
>>> AB feels free to make significant changes in features from one
>>> patchlevel to another.
>>
>> Well, reading the changelog history apparently they call 5.0.15 from
>> Oct.19th "Release", so all previous versions were Beta. I wonder how
>> many MySQL 5.0 users are aware of that...
>
> Er ... hmmmm ... so that means they have happy feature mucking during
> BETA? This is unprofessional. BETA phase without feature freeze ... what
> kind of hobby coders did they hire?

I'd guess that it's less a feature of their technical team and more of
the licencing model. The pressure to announce a new version tends to
drive most companies. Even MS used to, although they seem to be doing
the "semi-public beta status for two years" thing recently.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd