slow insert into very large table

From: Wolfgang Gehner <wgehner(at)infonoia(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: slow insert into very large table
Date: 2005-12-01 12:33:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi there,

I need a simple but large table with several million records. I do batch
inserts with JDBC. After the first million or so records,
the inserts degrade to become VERY slow (like 8 minutes vs initially 20
secondes).

The table has no indices except PK while I do the inserts.

This is with PostgreSQL 8.0 final for WindowsXP on a Pentium 1.86 GHz,
1GB Memory. HD is fast IDE.

I already have shared buffers already set to 25000.

I wonder what else I can do. Any ideas?

Kindest regards,

Wolfgang Gehner

--