Re: ice-broker scan thread

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ice-broker scan thread
Date: 2005-11-29 04:45:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gavin Sherry wrote:

> The paper I linked to seemed to suggest that they weren't using async IO
> in 9.2 -- which is fairly old. I'm not sure why the authors didn't test
> 10g.

There have been async io type parameters in Oracle's init.ora files from
(at least) 8i (disk_async_io=true IIRC) - on Solaris anyway. Whether
this enabled real or simulated async io is probably a good question - I
recall during testing turning it off and seeing kio()? or similar type
calls become write()/read() in truss oupout.

regards

Mark