Changing auth type in pg_hba.conf ineffective. Why?

From: Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1(at)obviously(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Changing auth type in pg_hba.conf ineffective. Why?
Date: 2005-11-24 21:18:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm struggling to resolve a login error. It seems that I'm getting
"ident" authentication, no mater what I set pg_hba.conf to. Here's a
log file:

LOG: next transaction ID: 602; next OID: 17232
LOG: database system is ready
FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "bryce"
LOG: could not connect to Ident server at address "::1", port 113:
Connection refused

This makes sense, because no identd is running, and port 113 is blocked
anyway. So I need another auth method.
My relevant pg_hba.conf lines are:

#local all all ident sameuser
#host all all 127.0.0.1/32 ident sameuser
#host all all ::1/128 ident sameuser
local all all md5
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust
host all all ::1/128 md5

I've renamed pg_hba.conf temporarily, just to verify that postmaster
won't start without it. So I'm editing the right file, and restarting
postmaster correctly. Any clues why I'm still getting 'auth' method
authentication?

Environment:
I'm using JDBC (Java Database Connection)
PostgreSQL version 8.0.3
SUSE Linux 10.0