Re: [PERFORM] Help speeding up delete

From: Svenne Krap <svenne(at)krap(dot)dk>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Help speeding up delete
Date: 2005-11-17 16:26:51
Lists: pgsql-performance pgsql-www

>You assume they know enough to download it. If they don't know to look
>for it, they still won't find it.

I think there should be a big, fat warning in the release notes.
Something like:

WARNING: Upgrading to version X.Y requires a full dump/restore cycle.
Please download the appropriate dump-utility from http://postgresql.org/dumputils/X.Y/
and make a copy of your database before installing the new version X.Y.

And then link to a dir with the statically linked pg_dump (and -all) for
the most common platforms. I must admit, I did not know that one should
use the new tool in a cyclus (and I have used Pg almost exclusively
since 7.0). That could also be the place to add a line about version S.T
is now considered obsolete and unsupported.

/Svenne