Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Date: 2005-11-16 16:00:12
Lists: pgsql-performance

>I suggest you read this on the difference between enterprise/SCSI and
>desktop/IDE drives:
>
> http://www.seagate.com/content/docs/pdf/whitepaper/D2c_More_than_Interface_ATA_vs_SCSI_042003.pdf

This is exactly the kind of vendor propaganda I was talking about
and it proves my point quite well : that there's nothing specific relating
to reliability that is different between SCSI and SATA drives cited in
that paper.
It does have a bunch of FUD such as 'oh yeah we do a lot more
drive characterization during manufacturing'.