Re: Running PostGre on DVD

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <mpollard(at)cincom(dot)com>,<jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Running PostGre on DVD
Date: 2005-11-15 23:24:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We were initially logging out of the Windows GUI environment and back in
again to do the Windows builds. Discovering runas made the whole
process MUCH less painful. So far I haven't needed to use any advanced
features of sudo or runas; in my view either is easy to use for the
common
cases. I'll admit it gets a little messy getting into the msys/mingw
environment as another user. I gave an example of how we used it this
way recently:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-11/msg00750.php

This wouldn't help with the "run from DVD" situation without having
a user to runas.

-Kevin

>>> "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> >>>

Yes, there is runas, but
windows doesn't exactly foster people working from the command line. And
IIRC runas isn't nearly as nice to use as sudo.