Re: 8.x index insert performance

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,<kelly(at)tradebotsystems(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.x index insert performance
Date: 2005-11-11 22:58:17
Lists: pgsql-performance

That sure seems to bolster the theory that performance is degrading
because you exhaust the cache space and need to start reading
index pages. When inserting sequential data, you don't need to
randomly access pages all over the index tree.

-Kevin

>>> Kelly Burkhart <kelly(at)tradebotsystems(dot)com> >>>

I modified my original program to insert generated, sequential data.
The following graph shows the results to be flat:

<http://kkcsm.net/pgcpy_20051111_1.jpg>