Re: Supporting NULL elements in arrays

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Supporting NULL elements in arrays
Date: 2005-11-09 18:32:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joe Conway wrote:

> Last time I thought about this problem, that's what I concluded. I don't
> think there is a reasonable and backward compatible solution.
>
> I also think the best non-compatible solution is to require non-numeric
> elements to be delimited (double quotes, configurable?), and use NULL
> unadorned to represent NULL.

If we're going non-computable, would something that's a superset
of the SQL Standard's array value constructor be useful; or is
the standard's arrays so limited as to not even address the
things that cause issues for postgresql arrays?

If I read the confusing thing right, I think the standard
does use NULL for nulls in arrays, single-quotes for strings,
etc. like "ARRAY['FOO',null,'BAR']" and unadorned numbers
for numbers in arrays. That's similar to what I think Joe
suggested, but with single rather than double quotes?