Re: 8.1RC1 fails to build on OS X (10.4)

From: Idar Tollefsen <idart(at)performancedesign(dot)no>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.1RC1 fails to build on OS X (10.4)
Date: 2005-11-02 22:36:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Also it would be worth showing in more detail exactly what happens when
> you try to build the (unpatched) sources.

*blush* Found it.

Any one the following flags will produce the described problems (alone
or in combination):
-faltivec
-mabi=altivec
-maltivec
-mcpu=<your CPU type here>

I have these, and others, set because of other development work I do.
And I always forget them when I just want to build something else. My bad.

As a curious side note, MySQL (4.1.13a and pre-releases of 5.0) had
trouble with the exact same flags. Other pieces of software I have
compiled (CommonC++2, TAO, wxWidgets, bison, curl, OmniORB, Apache 2,
etc., etc.) had no trouble with these, even if they were there
unintentionally.

- IT