Re: pg_restore [archiver] file offset in dump file is too

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore [archiver] file offset in dump file is too
Date: 2005-11-02 20:26:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>just made

>>>[ looks again... ] Hm, that is a 40Gb dump Kevin is
>>>

>>complaining of,
>>

>>>isn't it. Do our Windows builds have LARGEFILE support?
>>>

>>I think from a cursory investigation the short answer is no,
>>but they probably could. If so, that should definitely go on
>>the TODO list. Windows gurus, any thoughts?
>>

>Windows certainly supports large files. I don't see why we wouldn't pick
>this up in autoconf, perhaps the mingw libraries don't?
>Definitly worth investigating, no time for 8.1, so putting it on TODO
>seems very good :-)

There is no fseeko in the Windows libraries, nor any provision in the
mingw headers that I can see for a 64 bit off_t. So we would need to
roll our own to some extent - I think we need more than just a bit of
configure cleverness.

However, there is a Windows library routine to do a 64bit seek and
return the file position, so we could fairly easily implement fseeko and
ftello based on that. See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vclib/html/_crt__lseek.2c_._lseeki64.asp

cheers

andrew