Re: localhost in pgpass file?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: localhost in pgpass file?
Date: 2005-10-27 13:29:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Can anyone explain to me why 'localhost' in a .pgpass file matches
> both a Unix socket and a tcp localhost connection?
>
> Also, there is no documentation at all that I can see to cover the
> Unix socket case. I found the information after much looking through
> asking on IRC, where luckily Andrew(at)Supnews knew the answer.

Nobody answered (or maybe cared? :-) )

I propose to document the slightly odd behaviour with this wording:

The literal value <literal>localhost</literal> in the hostname field
matches
an empty hostname connection parameter as well as matching its literal
value.
This can be useful for specifying Unix-domain socket connections.

cheers

andrew