Re: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size <a_big_number_here>

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: invalid memory alloc request size <a_big_number_here>
Date: 2005-10-27 13:35:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hmm, depends. It's not asked often, that for sure. Yet everytime it
> comes up I keep forgetting if I should be breaking on errstart, errmsg
> or something else. One of these days I might just write it on a post-it
> note next to my computer.

I always break on errfinish myself. At one time elog didn't go through
errstart (it may still not, I forget) so errfinish was the only
certainly common point for catching both elog and ereport. Another
advantage is that by that point, all the error info is set up and you
can inspect it if you want to.

> - Note that DEBUG level message will trigger
> - also so you might need to "cont" a few times to get the error you
> - want.

Also, control doesn't come to errfinish at all unless the message is
going to be printed, so the DEBUG-message problem goes away.