Re: BUG #1947: Enhancement Request - CONCAT() function

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, Tony Marston <tony(at)marston-home(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1947: Enhancement Request - CONCAT() function
Date: 2005-10-20 17:07:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:

>"Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> writes:
>

>>And you might want to make it a project at http://pgfoundry.org so
>>others can make use of it. You might also want to define it as accepting
>>an array; I think that would allow you to accept any number of
>>parameters.
>>

>I think Tony is trying to avoid putting in any actual work ;-).

And that he wants to write queries that work on Oracle, MySQL, and
PostgreSQL at the same time.

One point I would make is that although || might appear to break MySQL
at the moment, you can set the operator to be concat for the application
(maybe in the function that connects to the DB?)
Best Wishes
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting