pg_dump permissions

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dump permissions
Date: 2005-10-19 08:32:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Suppose I have a database with a table in it. I try to dump that
database. The user I dump as is not the owner of that table nor does it
have the SELECT permission on that table.

Why can't I do a schema-only dump of that table? I find that I need
SELECT permission on the table, even though my user can happily query
the catalogs.

PostgreSQL version: 7.4

Chris