Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Matthew Terenzio <matt(at)jobsforge(dot)com>, PgSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase
Date: 2005-10-13 02:19:22
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Matthew Terenzio wrote:
>

>>As much as I respect Marc and Postgresql.org, I can't see Oracle hiring
>>him away as a "killer" threat to the community. People would set up
>>camp somewhere else, like Command Prompt. It would hurt things for a
>>while but the software is too important to too many to be killed by a
>>domain name or person.
>>

>Right, all these damages are temporary, which is probably why we haven't
>been attacked yet.

There are also logistical problems with attacking PostgreSQL because
nobody owns it.
MySQL was an easy target because of the way they negotiated their
business contracts
for use of Innodb.

PostgreSQL doesn't suffer from that. Our only real, substantiated
concern that I can see
is the potential for the Software Patent crap.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake