Re: Build fails for pl/tcl on OpenBSD

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Hentosh <hentosh(at)io(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Build fails for pl/tcl on OpenBSD
Date: 2001-05-05 04:10:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I said:
> OpenBSD's tcl package is broken, then. It's their responsibility to put
> the necessary compiler flags into tclConfig.sh, not the responsibility
> of every Tcl-using software to second guess where the include files are.

After thinking about this a little more, I'm confused again. How did
you manage to get past src/interfaces/libpgtcl, which also includes
tcl.h without benefit of any hand-hacked -I switches?

I'm still of the opinion that adding
-I $(TCL_PREFIX)/include/tcl$(TCL_VERSION)
to src/pl/tcl/Makefile is an inappropriate thing to do. But it seems
that the correct way to deal with nonstandardly-located packages is to
say
--with-includes=/usr/local/include/tcl8.3
to configure (more than likely you'll also need
--with-libs=/usr/local/lib/tcl8.3), and I'm just wondering how come you
didn't seem to need that to build libpgtcl. It shouldn't have gotten as
far as pl/tcl ...