a few webby things

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: a few webby things
Date: 2005-09-07 16:30:29
Lists: pgsql-www

Web maintainers,

I don't usually get into website stuff, and don't read the list, but
here are a couple questions/suggestions and one plea for help.

1. I was recently given the honor of being made a committer (somewhat to
my surprise). It occurred to me then that I didn't know who all the
committers were. So I went to the web site but didn't see the info
anywhere. Maybe a separate section on the developers page, or a little
icon to distinguish them, would be a good thing. This isn't because I
want to blow my own horn but because others might have the same question
I did.

2. Has anyone ever tried to produce a version of the docs with a
navigation sidebar? I often use the web site docs but I would like
something like the Table of Contents as a sidebar (maybe in it own
frame) that would help navigate without having to go to the top all the
time. That would be a great advance. I'm suggesting it as an additional
option, not to replace the existing docs setup.

3. As you probably know, I run the postgresql buildfarm. Not too long
ago we added to our dashboard page some little icons that show configure
flags that were used on the build: see
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl . Ive looked at using
text instead of these icons, but the results weren't very pleasing.
Michael Glaesmann, who devised our theme, tried making some little text
bearing icons, but I didn't like those much either. However, the icons
we have aren't very good either; they jar visually, and I'd like
something better. They need to be tiny - ideally 16x16. Any help would
be appreciated.

(make sure I'm cc'd on replies, please)

cheers

andrew