Re: 4D Geometry

From: Tim Allen <tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Chris Traylor <ctraylor(at)phalanyx(dot)com>
Subject: Re: 4D Geometry
Date: 2005-09-07 02:55:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Chris Traylor wrote:
>
>>>Configure options are generally a pain in the neck,
>>
>>Granted. Especially, if all the ifdefs start making the source hard
>>to read, but they are a viable compile-time way to allow the user to
>>make the decision for themselves.
>

> This missing piece of information here is that 98.6% of our users never
> compile the source code, so that decision will have to be made by the
> packager who will always use the option that is acceptable to the
> plurality of the users. That is why we have removed most
> feature-related compile-time choices and are very hesitant to add new
> ones.

The other point to be made is that every such compile-time option
bifurcates the postgres universe into two mutually-incompatible
sections. The postgres community has enough of a challenge supporting
the one version of the database - there's no point in making things harder.

Tim

Tim Allen tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au
Proximity Pty Ltd http://www.proximity.com.au/