Re: insert only if conditions are met?

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>
To: Henry Ortega <juandelacruz(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: insert only if conditions are met?
Date: 2005-08-31 16:40:22
Lists: pgsql-sql

Henry Ortega wrote:

> What I am trying to do is
> * Insert a record for EMPLOYEE A to TABLE A
> IF
> the sum of the hours worked by EMPLOYEE A on TABLE A
> is not equal to N
>
> Is this possible?

Yes, but we will need to see your database schema to provide examples.

A simple example might be
INSERT INTO table_a
SELECT firstname, lastname FROM table_b
WHERE table_b IN (SELECT id FROM (SELECT id, sum(labor) as total_hours
from table_c group by id) WHERE total_hours <> n);

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

Attachment Content-Type Size