Re: nullif('','') on insert

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: "Matt L(dot)" <survivedsushi(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: nullif('','') on insert
Date: 2005-08-27 06:45:25
Lists: pgsql-sql

Matt L. wrote:

>I need to test whether or not a value is null on
>insert.
>
>Example: insert into table (column) values
>nullif('',''));
>ERROR: column "column" is of type boolean but
>expression is of type text.

Your problem is that NULL's are typed in PostgreSQL.

Try this:

SELECT NULL;
SELECT NULL::BOOL;
SELECT NULL::BOOL::TEXT;

to see what I mean. This is an exact illustration of your problem.

>It works in MSSQL (probably against not standards) but
>nonetheless I need to make it work.
>
>I assume it's returning 'NULL' w/ quotes?

Nope. It is returning a text string which is valued at NULL. It cannot
convert a text string to a BOOL (even if the string is a NULL) so it
gives you an error.

> I don't know
>where to look to alter it. I looked into functions but
>all I see is how to write "AS queries" or point to
>various snippets. I'd rather just alter the nullif
>function.

SELECT NULLIF('' = '', TRUE);

Does this work? You could write a wrapper function if necessary.....

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting