Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Nicholas Walker <nick(at)walkerdatanet(dot)com>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2005-08-26 01:35:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Rod Taylor wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 19:13 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>

>>Bruce, on May 17, 2004, you wrote:
>>

>>>So, yea, I am frustrated.  I know these features are hard and complex,
>>>but I want them for PostgreSQL, and I want them as soon as possible.  I
>>>guess what really bugs me is that we are so close to having these few
>>>remaining big features, and because they are so complex, they are taking
>>>a lot longer to arrive than previous features, and sometimes see a year
>>>pass without progress on some items, and that bugs me.
>>>

>>This discussion was taking place as we closed the 7.5 development cycle,
>>and we weren't getting PITR, tablespaces, nested transactions, 2PC, the
>>Win32 port, in the release.  We have all those things now.
>>
>>We have gone a long way now, even though it was only a year ago.  My
>>question for everyone on this list is:  What are the "few remaining big
>>features" that you see missing for PostgreSQL?
>>
>>Or, slightly different, what are people's most wanted features?
>>

>I have an immediate use for:
>      * Identity/generator support (per standard)
>      * Merge (update/insert as required)
>      * Multi-CPU sorts. Take a large single sort like an index creation
>        and split the work among multiple CPUs.

I am just a novice end user, but I would like to see:
    SavePoints be able to use within functions.  ( I think this involves
making procedures that execute outside of a transaction)
    Cross Database references.  (Available through dblink, but it would
be better if it was supported natively)
    The ability to say create function foo () returns setof record(int,
int , int).  I believe this is coming in the next release though.