Re: Thoughs after discussions at OSCON

From: Rick Morris <rick(at)brainscraps(dot)com>
To: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughs after discussions at OSCON
Date: 2005-08-16 14:15:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

John DeSoi wrote:
> On Aug 15, 2005, at 1:57 PM, Chris Browne wrote:
>
>> For someone to argue that implementing most business logic inside the
>> DB isn't their favorite idea is something where there needs to be some
>> room for disagreement :-).
>>

> I don't disagree but after doing quite a bit of PHP the last few weeks
> (using Drupal) I see more clearly why most people don't go to the
> trouble. I can create all kinds of constraints in my database but when
> I go to save a row that might violate several of them, I'll only get
> one error back. This won't work in a web form interface where I should
> provide feedback on all of the errors at once rather than one at a
> time. So if I want this validation logic to be available at both the
> application and database level, I have to somehow parse it from the
> database or create some superset of the specification that will work in
> the application and create the constraints in the database. Otherwise,
> I need to maintain the constraints in both places and keep them in sync.

IMHO, this is exactly where there needs to be more work done on
application frameworks: automated ways to propagate constraints and
business logic back into the application layer.

I explored those concepts to a small extent (with code examples) in a
couple articles for PHP|Architect. I think it is an area that would
involve some serious work, but would bring some serious benefits.

Regards,

Rick Morris