Re: Testing of MVCC

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Matt Miller <mattm(at)epx(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Testing of MVCC
Date: 2005-08-16 01:33:54
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>>Expect is very cool, but it would impose an extra dependency on tcl that
>>we don't now have for building and testing,
>>

>True. I was pointing to it more as an example of the sorts of tools
>people have built for this type of problem.
>
>I'm pretty sure there are re-implementations of Expect out there that
>don't use Tcl; would you be happier with, say, a perl-based tool?

Yes, because we already have a dependency on perl. But don't be
surprised if we can't find such a beast, especially one that runs under
the weird MSys DTK perl - I won't even begin to tell you the nightmares
that caused with getting buildfarm to work on Windows.

BTW, further reading indicates that AS Expect does exist for Windows,
but it's a commercial offering, not a free one. Others appear to be
somewhat limited in value, but I could be wrong.

cheers

andrew