Re: BUG #1806: Postmaster takes uses 99% of CPU

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Mike Krüger <m(dot)krueger(at)chs(dot)de>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1806: Postmaster takes uses 99% of CPU
Date: 2005-08-08 11:35:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Mike Krüger wrote:
> Sorry, I lost the Email Adress of the List.

No problem, just remember to hit "reply all" rather than "reply".

> There are no problems with other Processes.
> The System is only slow, when the postmaster Prozess gets the 100 % CPU time.
> Can I configure it, that this Prozess dont get more than 60 % ?

Not really (on Linux anyway). However, if other processes have useful
work to do and need CPU time, they will get their fair share. So - if PG
is running at 99% CPU (for long periods) that implies all other
processes are either waiting for PG to respond anyway, or are waiting
for disk/network etc.

The system shouldn't feel "slow" or "unresponsive" just because one
process is busy. If it does, that might imply swap is being used, or
network or disk activity is at a maximum.

General system admin is too large a subject to deal with here, but the
tools to check documentation for are: top/free/vmstat/iostat/netstat

Oh - and make sure your configuration settings are reasonable. Read
these two performance-tuning guides:
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/index.php
http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList

HTH