Re: difference between all RDBMSs

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: Dhanashree <dhanashree_05(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: difference between all RDBMSs
Date: 2005-07-19 22:54:04
Lists: pgsql-sql

Obviously on this list you will mostly get info on PostgreSQL. With
regard to PostgreSQL, I would highly suggest familiarizing yourself with
the online documentation. I won't cover the weaknesses of MySQL here,
but will give you a quick overview on how PostgreSQL is different from
other RDBMS's so you can refine your search a bit.

PostgreSQL is designed to be extremely extensible. This means that one
can easily write code to add data types, procedural languages, and more
with very little work. Other database managers may allow for data types
to be added, but I am not aware of any others that allow you to define
your own procedural langauges in any arbitrary way (Even the recent
enhancements to MS SQL to give it access to .Net are not this advanced).

The PostgreSQL development team has made data integrity and stability
(assuming working hardware) a top priority. It is certainly a higher
priority than any other open source RDBMS I have ever worked with.

If you want to understand other factors that make PostgreSQL different
than other RDBMS's you may want to look into differences regarding:
ISO compliance (which features of SQL-99 are supported), the trigger vs.
rule systems in PostgreSQL (warning MS SQL uses something they call
rules but it is something different), and features like inherited
tables. Again, read the online documentation.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting