Re: Problem with dblink regression test

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with dblink regression test
Date: 2005-06-22 03:49:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jim C. Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> writes:
>
>>It appears that the dblink regression test defaults to port 5432. I've
>>been trying to get platypus to compile clean on HEAD and 8_0 and it's
>>been failing on dblink.
>

> There are several buildfarm machines failing like this. I think a
> possible solution is for the postmaster to do putenv("PGPORT=nnn")
> so that libpq instances running in postmaster children will default
> to the local installation's actual port rather than some compiled-in
> default port.
>
> This is certainly not without its downsides, but if you are running
> a postmaster at a nondefault port then I think you ought to be aware
> that leaving dblink to choose a default port is a fragile idea.
>
> Thoughts?

(Sorry for the slow response, I'm away from home again, this time in
South Korea)

I think most people would expect that if they don't specify a port, they
would be talking to the same postmaster that they are running under on
whatever port it is using, not some compiled in default. So your
proposal makes perfect sense to me. Then the dblink regression test
would not specify a port at all, correct?

Joe