Re: Autovacuum in the backend

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum in the backend
Date: 2005-06-16 23:35:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Andreas Pflug wrote:
>

>> We're having a growing zoo of daemons that can be regarded as tightly
>> integrated server add-on processes (slony, autovac, pgAgent), and it
>> would be really nice (say: win32 users are used to it, thus requiring
>> it) to have a single point of control.
>>
>> Maybe a super daemon (in win32 probably pg_ctl), controlling
>> postmaster and all those helper processes (accessible through pgsql
>> functions, of course) would be the solition. This keeps the kernel
>> clean, separates backend shmem from helper processes and enables
>> control over all processes.
>>

> And this will be ready when?

This is certainly 8.2 stuff. I'm sufficiently glad if the
instrumentation stuff that was posted pre-8.0 and left out those days
because committers ran out of time makes it into 8.1...

> I thought we were discussing what could be done regarding AVitB
> between now and feature freeze for 8.1 in about 2 weeks. This surely
> doesn't come into that category.

I agree with former posters that we should have a default on AV to have
a system that performs correct out of the box for smaller installations.
Even a functionally cut-down version of AV running by default that has
to be stopped and replaced by a more sophisticated solution for high
performance installations is better than now.

Regards,
Andreas