Re: Autovacuum in the backend

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum in the backend
Date: 2005-06-16 04:44:20
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Just my own two cents. First I am not knocking the work that has been
> on autovacuum. I am sure that it was a leap on its own to get it to
> work. However I will say that I just don't see the reason for it.

The major reasons for autovacuum as I see it are as follows:

* Reduces administrative overhead having to keep track of what tables
need to be vacuumed how often.
* Reduces the total amount of time the system spends vacuuming since it
only vacuums when needed.
* Keeps stats up-to-date automatically
* Eliminates newbie confusion
* Eliminates one of the criticisms that the public has against
PostgreSQL (justifed or not)

Also, as VACUUM improves, autovacuum will improve with it.