Re: Postgres in government

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Mark Steckel <mjs(at)eworldes(dot)com>
Cc: postgres-info(at)eworldes(dot)com
Subject: Re: Postgres in government
Date: 2005-05-19 16:40:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Mark Steckel wrote:
> I have also scrounged the Internet looking for examples of
> Postgres being used in government, preferably in 24x7 capacities.

I find googling for vendors who are known to use PostgreSQL and
searching for people's resumes is a good way to find descriptions
of Government projects along with contacts for references.
Here's a couple that look interesting.

US Navy, Northrop Grumman

Use PostgreSQL in the Navy Enterprise Portal and the Fleet
Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center(FNMOC) Portal:

http://kennethbowen.com/kbresume.html

" Develop J2EE application to store user profiles for the Navy
Enterprise Portal and the Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography
Center(FNMOC) Portal using JBoss application server and
PostgreSQL database.
"

DOD, USGS, USDA, Army Corp of Engineers, Navy, through a company called Sanz:

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2005-March/007399.html

Sanz manages
"tens of terrabyte datasets of raster and vector
data for the DOD, USGS, USDA, Army Corp of
Engineers, Navy, etc."
using postgresql and postgis