Re: Postgres in government

From: Philip Hallstrom <postgresql(at)philip(dot)pjkh(dot)com>
To: Berend Tober <btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres in government
Date: 2005-05-19 16:35:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

>>> ...We are proposing that Postgres be used for the application database.
>>> Not too surprisingly we are being asked for additional information because
>>> Postgres is open source.
>>>
> So is the implication that they think open source is a bad thing? I would
> think they would question a recommendation for using proprietory products!

It's all about covering their butts... If they buy SQLServer and it goes
bad, they can sue Microsoft. Or at least they like to think they can.

If PostgreSQL goes bad, who are they going to sue? No one... which means
the guy who approved it is the scape goat -- which is why he wants proof
that others have found it worthy...

Silly, but that's probably what's happening.

-philip