Re: Catalog Security WAS: Views, views, views: Summary

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: andrew(at)supernews(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Catalog Security WAS: Views, views, views: Summary
Date: 2005-05-13 18:34:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew - Supernews wrote:

>>1) The "ISP" case, where you want to hide all catalog information from the
>>users except the database owner or superuser.
>>

>I don't believe this is ever feasible in practice, since client interfaces
>at any level higher than libpq will need to access metadata corresponding
>to the data they are retrieving.

In the general case you might well be right. Following a scheme like I
have in mind is not something that would be transparent to the
application - it will probably impose some serious limits on the app.
The little sample application I did for testing did everything by stored
procedure. Anyway, as I said, it's a project for the future.

cheers

andrew