Windows Account Setup Issue - Mapped Network Drive

From: Balaji Ganesan <bganesan(at)lsil(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Windows Account Setup Issue - Mapped Network Drive
Date: 2005-05-11 21:09:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

When trying to run postgres in Windows with a non-admin account, we are
running into issues with network drives.

Currently we run the DB server as a separate user because that's
what postgres wants (it doesn't like to be admin).

But on Windows, the mapped drives letters (to network drives) are
unique to a user session. So when starting postgres as a different
user, it can't see the network drives. Since our application requires the data to
be residing in the network drive and not the local drive, we have the issue.

One option is to map the drives after startup of user process
(more code required to record and do this). But this user process
will most likely not have the required permissions to access the
file anyways. Since the user is a local user and not a domain user
they have not network wide id, so it can only access network resources
as world. It could potentially map drives as a different user (the
original), but then it needs that userid/password (which it doesn't
have).

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve this issue. This looks like a common
problem and any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks
Balaji