Re: question: knopixx and postgresql on flash drive

From: Stephen Liu <satimis(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Mark <sendmailtomark(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: question: knopixx and postgresql on flash drive
Date: 2007-03-24 03:24:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Mark,

> Since it's going to be a development environment I don't need it
> fast.
>
> So, I would still prefer to go ahead with USB drive.

I like your idea. Last year I tested installing a complete Linux OS on
USB drive (thumb drive) of 1G size. It worked booting direct on PC.
It has a compressed system compressing files on USB thumb drive.
Nowadays 2/4G thumb drives are available on market with their price
contiune dropping.

The advantage of running thumb drive is convenient to carry. Its
disadvantage is having life-time. I don't know how big will be your
database. I'm sure a complete Linux OS can be installed on a thumb
drive of 1G size without sacrifying its features, not featherweight nor
damnsmall Linux. I also tested the latter on thumb drive. They worked
fantastically.

B.R.
Stephen Liu