Re: Name that project contest!

From: David Garamond <lists(at)zara(dot)6(dot)isreserved(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Name that project contest!
Date: 2005-04-09 05:22:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Very soon, I will be launching a sponsored project around optimizing
> PostgreSQL for Business Intelligence, Decision Support and Data Warehousing
> applications. One problem we've had is coming up with a name for this
> project. Suggestions so far have included "P.G.B.I." and "PostGreen",
> but nothing has really grabbed us.
>
> So, I'm offering a $50 Amazon gift certificate if anyone can come up with a
> really catchy, apt, not-trademarked-by-someone-else name by 5pm PDT Sunday
> April 10.
>
> Ready, get set, go!

- PostgreSQL 8i (though the "i" on Oracle 8i/9i is not "intelligence")
- PostgreSQL/DW [edition], PostgreSQL/BI [edition]
- Postracle? :p

Anyway, I think "PostgreSQL" still has to be part of the name. A new
name just won't have the same impact (unless this is just a project
nickname for developers? Or "PostgreSQL" is trademarked and cannot be
used). I suggest adding some suffix or attribute to PostgreSQL (think
"Pentium IV Emergency Edition").

--
sh