Re: index file bloating still in 7.4 ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Seum-Lim Gan <slgan(at)lucent(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: index file bloating still in 7.4 ?
Date: 2003-10-21 16:42:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

Seum-Lim Gan <slgan(at)lucent(dot)com> writes:
> We did a few (like 5 to 8 times) vacuum analyze <tablename> (no full), the
> pg_statistics relfilenode grew.

Well, sure. ANALYZE puts new rows into pg_statistic, and obsoletes old
ones. You need to vacuum pg_statistic every so often (not to mention
the other system catalogs).

> If we do plain simple "vacuum <tablename>" (again no full), we see
> pg_statistics_relid_att_index relfilenode grew instead of
> pg_statistics.

Don't think I believe that. Plain vacuum won't touch pg_statistic
at all (unless it's the target table of course). I'd expect ANALYZE
to make both the stats table and its index grow, though.